The original Merrick residence was built in 1899 by Rev. Solomon Merrick as a home base for the family’s 3,000-acre grapefruit plantation. It was a modest frame house that, by 1918, had been upgraded to a home encased in coral rock that was quarried from what is now the Venetian Pool. During the Great Depression, it became a boarding house called Merrick Manor. The city acquired the home and restored it in 1976. Restored again this year to its former glory, it is once again open to visitors.
- Mahatma Gandhi is assassinated at the age of 78
- Gasoline costs 16 cents a gallon
- Israel is declared an independent state
- The first Polaroid camera goes on sale
- NASCAR holds its first race at Daytona Beach