In November of 1926, the magnificent Colonnade building on Miracle Mile was completed by famed architect Phineas Paist. Now the Hotel Colonnade, the building was originally designed as a sales center for Coral Gables, and became the center of the shopping district. Since then it has housed a pilot training facility, a movie studio and a World War II parachute factory. This image comes from the early 1940s.
- World War II was underway in Europe
- The movies Citizen Kane and Dumbo were filmed
- Hemingway published For Whom the Bell Tolls
- Franklin Roosevelt was president
- Campbells Tomato Soup cost 25 cents for 3 cans