The Intersection of Ponce de Leon Blvd and Miracle Mile in 1952 (looking here toward the southwest corner) had come under the influence of urban designers who wanted to give it a sleek, clean, modern look to compete with places like Lincoln Road Mall. Today, the roofs and window awnings have been retrofitted with red tiles in keeping with the Mediterranean image the city has come to embrace.
- The average price for a new car is $1,700
- Elizabeth the II becomes the Queen of England
- Albert Schweitzer wins the Nobel Peace Prize
- The first hydrogen bomb is detonated
- The first Mr. Potato Head is sold