The original building at 300 Alhambra Circle was built in 1924 during the first phase of Coral Gables’ development, and briefly served as the offices for “The Miami Daily News,” the area’s first newspaper (which moved in 1925 to what is now the Freedom Tower in downtown Miami). Since then the building has been repurposed multiple times, becoming (among other things) a hair salon in the 1980s. It is now home to Cafe Demetrio, one of our more elegant coffee houses.
- The First Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is held in New York City
- Ellis Island closes as an immigration entry point to the U.S.
- Joseph Stalin begins his bid for leadership after Vladimir Lenin dies
- The first ever Winter Olympics are held in France
- The first regular airmail services start in the U.S.