The Coral Gables Golf and Country Club and the Granada Golf Course was once the Merrick family’s vegetable field. The golf course opened on January 15, 1923. The clubhouse opened three months later, and became the city’s first public building. The six original coral rock arches remain, but only the base of the tower – used by George Merrick as a viewing platform to show prospective buyers their home sites – survived a devastating 1983 fire.
- King Tut’s burial chamber is discovered
- First game played at the original Yankee Stadium
- Warner Brothers is established in Hollywood
- The first issue of “Time Magazine” is published
- Insulin is introduced for diabetes treatment